Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Today...

Today, we will lay my mother-in-law to rest.

Today, my sweet husband will say good-bye to his mom (until we see her in heaven).

Today, my daughters will tell their Grandma Diekemper good-bye.

Today, my mother-in-law will get her wings (according to Allison).


We have been stuggling with how to tell Allison about Grandma. At 3.5yrs, we know that Allison's comprehension of death is darned near nil. Like it should be.

So today, as we stood by the casket that was holding my mother-in-law's body, I told Allison that Grandma's body didn't work anymore. She won't be opening her eyes or talking to us.
I told Allison that tomorrow (today) Jesus will be coming to get Grandma to take her to heaven.

Allison asked if Grandma will be getting all better in heaven. I told her yes.

Allison asked if Grandma would be coming back. I told her no.

Allison then asked if Grandma will get "some wings". I told her yes. Ally looked at me and asked "Grandma will be the angel?". I told her yes.

Allison smiled a tiny smile, patted the casket, near grandma, and walked away. That was all she needed.

We will tell stories of Grandma til the cows come home. I want memories to be the best thing that they have from Grandma.

By the way...the line at the funeral home? Neverending, for 5.5hrs. Friends, family....you name it. They all came to pay their respects to this woman who touched so many lives. What a testimony.

2 comments:

Scrap Jaci said...

I am so sorry for your families loss. I am praying for you.

jenn said...

what a great way to explain it to allison!